Follow focus can be fiddly especially if you are a one band shooter, but there are a few useful electronic follow focuses that can be useful.
Aputure DEC wireless follow focus & aperture - $390/£250/€340
- Wireless Control of Focus & Iris
- 328 feet or 100 metres Wireless Range
- Iris Lock for Focus Confirmation
- Hand Grip Mounting Clamp
- Hard Padded Case Included
- You can see the battery status and F step on the remote and the adapter
- Ability to set focus markers to get accurate focus
- Remotely start/stop camera (very convenient when mounted on rig)
- Ability to charge and update firmware via micro USB
- Can be smoother on some lenses with better Auto Focus
- Only works with AF lenses and Mirrorless lenses
- Batteries do not last too long, but depends on the AF system on the lens
- Adapter sticks out further than the bottom of some cameras (may be difficult mounting)
Silencer Follow Focus - $480/£310/€423
The Silencer Follow Focus attaches easily and conveniently to the grip of your rig and allows smooth focus pulls using a trigger.
- The battery lasts a long time (very efficient)
- Baseplate with rods are included
- The shorter black motor is fairly silent
- The cables are light and do alter the balance of the camera
- You can mount it very quickly when and wherever
- There is no option to adjust the sensitivity of the trigger
- The trigger is very sensitive and you can miss focus quite easily, or move the focus too slow or too fast.
APUTURE V-CONTROL UFC-1S USB FOCUS CONTROLLER - $160/£105/€143
The second option is the Aputure V-control UFC-1s USB Focus Controller which is a larger unit but has many more features.
Macro filming, fine focus applications, jib and other situations where remote controls are required.
- Tons of features
- More accurate focus pulls compared to the silencer
- Excellent accessories
- Price isn't bad when you consider what competitors are charging
- Can't jump large focus ranges quickly
- Programming can take time to fiddle with.
- May be unable to use HDMI depending on your cables.
Also in the mix, the DJI Follow Focus
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.