Follow focus can be fiddly especially if you are a one band shooter, but there are a few useful electronic follow focuses that can be useful.
Aputure DEC wireless follow focus & aperture - $390/£250/€340
- Wireless Control of Focus & Iris
- 328 feet or 100 metres Wireless Range
- Iris Lock for Focus Confirmation
- Hand Grip Mounting Clamp
- Hard Padded Case Included
- You can see the battery status and F step on the remote and the adapter
- Ability to set focus markers to get accurate focus
- Remotely start/stop camera (very convenient when mounted on rig)
- Ability to charge and update firmware via micro USB
- Can be smoother on some lenses with better Auto Focus
- Only works with AF lenses and Mirrorless lenses
- Batteries do not last too long, but depends on the AF system on the lens
- Adapter sticks out further than the bottom of some cameras (may be difficult mounting)
Silencer Follow Focus - $480/£310/€423
The Silencer Follow Focus attaches easily and conveniently to the grip of your rig and allows smooth focus pulls using a trigger.
- The battery lasts a long time (very efficient)
- Baseplate with rods are included
- The shorter black motor is fairly silent
- The cables are light and do alter the balance of the camera
- You can mount it very quickly when and wherever
- There is no option to adjust the sensitivity of the trigger
The trigger is very sensitive and you can miss focus quite easily, or move the focus too slow or too fast.
APUTURE V-CONTROL UFC-1S USB FOCUS CONTROLLER - $160/£105/€143
The second option is the Aputure V-control UFC-1s USB Focus Controller which is a larger unit but has many more features.
Macro filming, fine focus applications, jib and other situations where remote controls are required.
- Tons of features
- More accurate focus pulls compared to the silencer
- Excellent accessories
- Price isn't bad when you consider what competitors are charging
- Can't jump large focus ranges quickly
- Programming can take time to fiddle with.
- May be unable to use HDMI depending on your cables.
Also in the mix, the DJI Follow Focus
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.